Roseburg National Cemetery

 

Roseburg VA grounds in Roseburg, Oregon


While waiting for Terry to meet me for an errand this afternoon, I chose to check out the cemetery at the Roseburg VA National Cemetery grounds. Sitting in a graveyard may seem a bit macabre for some, however, sometimes cemeteries are surrounded by park-like settings that can be so relaxing and an awesome place to take photos. 

Being an empath makes things a bit difficult when walking through tombstone after tombstone in the final resting place of many who have said goodbye to those of us on this plane. Especially those who have fought in war, no matter their choice in service. The walk through the Veteran's Administration National Cemetery was one of desire, and also of curiosity. I tend to have a strange mindset when it comes to cemeteries. 

I don't look at them as being scary or a place to scrounge up something bizarre or extraordinary, and especially not of the paranormal realm. The history behind people resting in a cemetery is what I'm interested in. That and what I can feel by walking around each mound, reading each headstone, and touching the surface of every letter the family has carefully and lovingly had set in stone as a remembrance of their loved one. 


Driving around the nicely paved pathways, I found the overall feeling of the cemetery to be one of respect and beauty. Roseburg is a small city. As of last year, the population count according to stats drawn from 2021, was 23, 831. The count may be small, but the respect for those who have served is immense. It shows in many aesthetically pleasing items and places around town. The cemetery was one of those places.

The grounds, overall, are kept clean. Even the leaves do not have a chance to build in number for very long. Fall has changed some of the trees into bright, beautiful pieces of art. The needles of the evergreens that Oregon is known for becomes the canvas. Wisps of cool autumn wind would bring the scent of those trees and fresh cut grass to your nose. You can tell by the smell alone that fall is upon us in full seasonal splendor. 






This was one small section of the cemetery. The other larger section was row after row of the white headstones, reflecting the bit of sun we had today. The larger section was filled with people. I felt as though this area was plenty for today. I avoided snapping photos of the headstones up close for privacy of those families who have loved ones buried here. This is a public space, however it just didn't feel right. I was not there to make a gruesome post nor was I going to make this about the deaths of those who were laid to rest in terms of being scary, spooky, or anything along those lines. I simply wanted to pay respects to the VA for the work they have done on this cemetery. 

I walked into the paths between the stones, touching various markers as I moved along, reading the information given about each person laid to rest there. It was heartbreaking, and sobering. Even with a small cemetery such as this, it makes one think about those young men and women heading off to war. Most of the stones were marking the final resting place of those who fought in the Vietnam war. 

Not only do I know of several vets who returned from that specific war, I always think about my oldest brother, Mike, who was of draft age when I was young. The thought of him being drafted, having to go off and fight in a war he had nothing to do with really always made me sick as a young girl. I simply didn't understand war. But who does, really?





This was a memorial to all branches of the armed service. The flag stood in the middle of a brick and cement half circle, each pillar boasting a heavy metal piece depicting the symbol of each of the branches. 



No matter which direction I faced, there was another section of property that reminded me of a well kept golf course. I loved the trees dressed in fall colors peering out of the evergreens. Just enough to give those splashes of color to remind us fall is here in full form. 



As I stood in front of those little white stones, I held back a flow of tears. Not wanting to gain attention to myself, I tried as hard as I could to hold those tears in. But the human in me came through strongly, and the tears began to flow. I had to wipe my eyes with my sleeve several times. Unnecessary deaths and heartbreaking loss for American families everywhere, and this was only a minute space covered with markers for those who had perished in wars. My thoughts drifted to the Arlington National Cemetery and the brutal count of headstones there as well as smaller towns such as Roseburg. 

Next up, I walked through the fields of headstones laying on the ground instead of standing as in those pictured here. There was row after row of veterans buried in the cemetery, as with most cemeteries. The count of markers brought chills throughout my body. The sight was both breathtaking in the simple beauty of the grounds, yet heartbreaking in the thought of each plaque meaning there was yet another soul resting underneath that beautiful soil. 

Now, the sadness of loss of life and how many families suffered because of the loss of someone near and dear to them was shifted to the back of my mind for a while toward the end of the drive through the grounds. Anyone who knows me understands the "squirrel" moment of me seeing any type of wildlife. That takes precedence over anything else! The wildlife was stunning! Deer grazed and pranced through the grounds. Ducks and geese flocked together to lay along grassy areas in the cemetery. The wildlife brought life to what could be a dreary, sad site. The juxtaposition between death and life was very clear. I wiped away tears and began photographing the spaces holding those wonderful signs of life because no matter what, I choose life. 

Suddenly, out of the natural forested areas among the beautifully kept lawns and hills of tombstones, came deer. Young bucks showing off their new antlers. Does bringing their newborn fawns into the light of day became commonplace. It was as though the deer could hear the depressing thoughts and chose to give us all something to focus on in the beauty of life. 

They were all coming from the trees and into open land. The floral displays and fresh, lush, green grass were a perfect feeding place. People began to drive up and witness the flow of ducks, geese, and of course the deer. It was an amazing sight to behold. My mind shifted from the grief and sorrow to the antics of the creatures before me. It was the perfect way to top off the visit to the cemetery.




The left hand side of this photo shows a few deer coming toward the clearing. This is the wooded area they were all resting in before making a move to graze in the manicured areas of the cemetery.  




Slowly they make their move to come out into the light. One by one humans were drawn to watch the deer make their trek into the busier places on the grounds. The idea that they would all begin to move at once made me believe that they probably did this on a regular basis. It was feeding time apparently. 





After the wildlife fed for a while, the crowd was growing consistently. I drove out of the space I had chosen to sit quietly and snap pictures of the parade of animals moving into the grass. I felt a need to move around the cars bringing the onlookers before it was too crowded to have enough space to safely navigate my vehicle. 

Looking for the memory wall, I stumbled upon the memorial set up among brick walls and pillars. While it all looked so perfectly polished and neat, making it difficult to understand the depth of all of those walls and the individual plaques representing the graves of those who had died. 



I have to say, this part of my tour really kicked my heart. Wall after wall of those who were being remembered in the mausoleum style grave site. 






The walk I took through the walls of those who died literally tore me up. I spent the time crying, wondering why such a waste of life had to take place. Having never been to the National Cemetery in Arlington or any cemetery providing a resting place for those who served and passed, this was a must. As difficult as it was, I'm glad I went. I will go again to take in more of what I may have missed, but all I can utter for now is a phrase that rises from my soul. The only words that come to mind are simple, yet naturally came, "Can anybody really win with war?" 

I imagined Vietnamese families standing in front of grave markers like I am in this moment, still grieving for their loved ones. What are we doing to each other? This senseless, mass of lives lost and for what?  

I'm going to finally finish this post up in saying, to all of those who have served and were able to return, "Welcome home." 

Comments

Popular Posts