We Have the Meats!

 

Arby's Turkey Club
When you meet someone new, it's always the beginning of what could turn out to be a let down in the romance department or it could be something great, something real, and something you want in your life forever. With a new relationship, there is always the uncertainty of how the potential partner will react to situations that arise in day-to-day life. Then there is the making of memories that bind you, that make you feel comfortable with each other as time goes on. 

Terry and I first met in August of 2022. Since then, we have created some awesome memories together. Occurrences that will remain part of each of us, forever. Even if we were not together, we would have those moments that are deep in our memory banks surface periodically, creating a smile from ear-to-ear or if the situation warrants a negative memory that will leave us sad, depressed or just negative in thought. 

We knew we were right for each other in the first few weeks because of the laughter we shared in a short amount of time. Especially when the laughter comes from situations that are all natural, not posed or planned in any way. This is one such event that still has me laughing and will for many years to come.

Only a couple of weeks into our meeting, Terry took me out to Arby's for a quick meal and then off to Wildlife Safari Park in Winston, Oregon. This is a typical weekend drive for us now, but then it was a first outing to the park for us as a couple. We strolled into the restaurant and waited in line for the next available cashier to take our order. 

Terry asked what I wanted, and I replied, "Oh, just a French dip."  He ordered my meal and his as well, along with a milkshake for his drive to the park. The ordering out of the way, we chose the second table down the outer aisle to sit and wait for our number to be called to pick up our meals. We chatted for a few moments and then I heard the cashier yell out our number, "Number 89." I let Terry know the number was called, just in case he hadn't heard. He jumped up and went to grab our food. 

I thought Terry might need assistance in carrying the food back, but as I watched him return with the tray of edibles, I noticed he was handling it all very well. He arrived at the first table and began to remove what was my dinner from the tray and then placed it in front of the woman sitting alone at the table. I watched from afar, as he placed each piece of the meal carefully, without looking up. The intense concentration was amazing, except that it was focused on the safety of the food and not his exact position in the eatery. The bewildered woman sat stiffly in her seat, probably horrified that this strange man was delivering food to her and not saying a word while accomplishing the feat. 

Now, as you know if you read our blog, Terry is hard of hearing. In my defense, I definitely made an attempt to get his attention, but to no avail. The man was on a mission and was heavily focused on serving "me" as best he could. I yelled out, "Terry!" three times and finally gave up when there was no reply. I sat back and watched the hilarity unfold. 

Laughter hit me and I just couldn't make it stop. It was funny enough watching the service of a meal at the wrong table come to life, but the hilarious part that completely brought tears to my eyes was yet to come. Terry had completed his task of emptying the tray. He set the tray aside and with a very proud, "Here you go, babe," he proceeded to ready himself to sit in the seat. The woman was sitting very still, very afraid, I'm sure. 

By this time, myself and the man on another table who had witnessed the entire event were laughing so hard we couldn't breathe. The saving grace for my new man was when he looked up to lock eyes with me and sat down to enjoy the fruits of his labor. He stared into the eyes of what he thought was his new girlfriend. Instead, he saw the eyes of a woman who was terrified, wishing she was any place besides the local Arby's with a man she didn't know calling her "babe." 

By this time, Terry had turned a color I had never seen before. He was a blend of green from being ill at the thought of what he had done, with an added strange tint of white. The blending of the colors made a putrid chartreuse. The blood finally began to return to his face, creating a healthier rose coloration. He mustered up an apology as sincere as it could get in the situation. 

The woman never said a word. Terry timidly glanced over at me. I was showing absolutely no intension of coming to his aid, as I had tears rolling down my cheeks at this point and was red faced from laughing hard. I couldn't catch my breath long enough to eke out a word. He gathered up the food, the tray, and what was left of his dignity and moved to our table. He knew by my reaction that he would never live this grave error down. Terry began to laugh with me, realizing the hilarity of it all. I knew at that moment that he had the sense of humor that I could live with and it's one of the reasons why I love him the way I do. 

Since that adventure, we have spent many moments laughing about the entire thing, and "Here ya go, babe," has become a catch phrase for us. I laugh so hard each time I recall the evening we went to Arby's. We still go to Arby's once in a while and try to snag that same table. Laughter always ensues as we wait for our food. It's one of those memories that we will never forget. It will definitely be one that makes us giggle for a very long time, if not forever. 

We did see that woman in Walmart once. She had the same look on her face that she did while Terry was placing food in front of her, without a smirk, without a word or any indication she was in that moment. I feel sorry for people who can't laugh at themselves. Laughter is such a great thing. What a wonderful way to share feelings of happiness and joy together. Such a stress reliever and an uplifting feeling. We all need to take time out of our mostly intense lives to find joy and laughter. Look for things that make you smile and laugh every day. Share laughter with your partner, your friends and family. In those moments of laughter, you are creating a few memories that will be yours forever. 






Comments

Popular Posts