Don't Fear the Reaper

 



Well, the 24th came and went. And what an awesome day it was! Terry and I had Mallory coming over to take care of our Siberian husky, Togo, and both of our kitties. Since she was on her way, we climbed into the car and left for Eugene, where the Blue Oyster Cult concert fun would be had. 

For those who do not know, Blue Oyster Cult was a New York formed band in 1967. After working their way to the top, they sold a whopping 25 million albums worldwide, including about seven million in the US alone. Developing a cult following, they became well known after the songs Don't Fear the Reaper, I'm Burning for You, and Godzilla hit the charts. Tonight, and tonight only, Blue Oyster Cult will be in Eugene, Oregon, at the Lane County Fair as a stop on their tour. Terry and I purchased front row seats, in the center of the front aisle. Perfect seating. 

But first, before our hearts could rock and roll, we went to my granddaughter's house to visit for a while before heading to the fair venue. Here we were able to visit with Dawn, my oldest daughter, Jess, my granddaughter, and Zyrah and Novalee, my two great granddaughters. 




I love these two girls so much. Their mom and grandma aren't bad either. 😁😀😅😂

We enjoyed a short visit and then figured it was time to grab something to eat before the concert, avoiding the $20 hot dog at the fairgrounds. Terry and I chose to eat at the local Olive Garden restaurant since he was craving some Italian food or a facsimile thereof. 


I was hungry this afternoon. Have you ever not realized how hungry you are until you see a menu? Choosing the salad and chicken and gnocchi soup, plus breadsticks, I was set to go. Terry decided on the zuppa Tuscana soup, some spaghetti, and the breadsticks. We ate with joy. The concert was going to be good; we could feel it. 

Shoveling in all that delicious food, we set out to go see the Blue Oysters. I've seen black ones before, but blue? Blue ones were definitely unique. This would be a very interesting day. I hope they serve crackers with the oysters. 

Once we arrived, it was a matter of finding a good place to park. There happened to be a spot open along the first aisle in the lot. Perfect. Next stop was the checking of bags, pockets, pants, and going through the metal detector. This cracked me up as I was awaiting my entry through that gate. I figured the metal rods and plate and screws in my ankle and lower leg would set off the alarms for sure. 

I dropped my purse and phone into the basket and off they went to be checked out. Of course, I had nothing. I came prepared simply because I read the notice of items allowed inside and those that would not be allowed in the venue. Next up was the metal detector. I smiled as I walked through, expecting to have to give an explanation of why I was setting off alarms as I giggled at the alarm sounding. 

I took a couple of steps. Underneath the beams now. And ouch. Onto the other side. Not a single alarm. Not even a tinkle of a bell. Wow. Is this the way they serve their fair goers? I looked at the man beside the detector and told him I was disappointed in their machine. After all, I have metal all through my ankle and bottom of my leg and nothing? That's all the excitement I get? I went through all of that about two and a half years ago and was even teased by my surgeon at how cool it would be to set off security alarms such as this one. The security officer smiled at me, giggled at my feeble attempt at joking with him, and I moved on. Well, that was no fun. It kind of sucked actually. 

Leaving the fun up to my husband, I guess. Terry was hot and chose to purchase a hat somewhere in the fair. We walked around in search for the perfect one and nothing.  Plenty of hats but most were goofy, silly hats that didn't really inspire him to buy one, such as Spiderman caps or Superman hats. But the man's bald head will burn if he doesn't. He is healing from a surgery on his belly right now. We don't need him to be miserable from a sunburn too. 


My healed man. He handled the cancer episode like a boss. 


We walked inside the main building to see if they sold hats there. There were none that we saw, so outside again, into the heat. 


After going to the fair every year while growing up here, and even into some of my adult years, I noticed the fair felt smaller this year. It didn't seem quite as "full" and was bare of more of what used to be. Maybe it was me, but it didn't seem as large. Funtastic Rides were in charge of all of the rides and games, while there were booths that sold hats, shirts, toys, and other items up for sale. But the rides were only down an aisle or two this year. Most of what took up space were the games and food booths. Not that I cared that much as I was there to see the concert, but it was different. 

As I sat in the shaded food court area, Terry informed me he was going to use the restrooms in the building. He walked out of the tent and up the aisle toward the coveted bathroom space in the main event center. After a few minutes he returned, wearing a hat that made me laugh. He liked it and it looked cute on him, so it was perfect. It truly personified Eugene, Oregon, in the most delightful way. For those of you who know the city of Eugene or know of its reputation, you'll get what I mean. 


Ah, my man. He is growing from a California boy to a true Eugene guy. I do believe he fits right in. 

***

Terry walked past a booth on the chance there may be a hat sale in there, but instead he located a shirt. The man operating the booth was the artist with an airbrush system and did good work I might add. Hubby Mac decided he wanted a shirt with red lettering and a scythe to frame it. He wanted the words, Don't Fear the Reaper for the concert we were about to attend. While he was speaking to the vendor on how he wanted his shirt, I walked around the corner to see what all the clapping was about. 

I found a fun little show going on. A bike, scooter, and trampoline were being used to display acrobatics on a ramp. It looked fun. Nothing real daring or explosive, but fun all the same. 




Terry was still waiting on his shirt. He was told it would take about a half hour to complete his project. We walked to the food area so we could purchase some water and sit in the shade for a bit. Although on the way, I spotted the dog trick area and wanted to watch. 



Once again, something fun, yet not explosive. These dogs were announced to be rescue pets from the local shelter though and were in the process of training for this. After the high jump, the dogs were working on their dock diving abilities. 

I thought it was all cute and all, but I found it to be difficult to see where we were standing. It was getting very hot and I wanted to sit in the shade for a while. 

***

Soon it was time for the concert doors to open. We walked into the seating area where we found our reserved seats with the help of an usher. How much more perfect can we get besides front row, middle? 

Terry had stopped to pick up his t-shirt on the way back to me as I sat in the shade of the food tent. Quickly, he removed his marijuana leaf hat and put his concert shirt over the shirt he wore into the fair. I have to say, I was impressed with how it turned out. The lettering truly says "Reaper," but the last couple of letters are difficult to read.



He stood up in front of the crowd and posed, waiting for me to capture his smiling face. Terry was one happy man. This beloved concert was finally here, and he could not be happier. We were going to rock our souls tonight, even at the ripe old ages of 68 and 70. There may be some hitches in our giddyap, but we would rock with the best of them tonight! And rock we did. 

This song, Don't Fear the Reaper, was the final song of the night, of course. It was an awesome thing to hear them sing it again and to see the crowd go crazy over the song after all these years. After all, who can't use more cow bells?


I love me some cow bells. 

Other songs were in the setlist for sure. The band did not come out and sing one song and then move on. It was an amazing concert that night, taking us both back to the '70s when we were teens, heading into adulthood. The group was formed in '67, however, the first time I heard their music was in the early '70s. In the beginning, I heard the song, Don't Fear the Reaper, and stopped listening to it. I believed it was about a guy wanting his love to commit suicide with him. That, fortunately, is not the case as I found out in later years. 

The song is actually, according to the lyricist, Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser, written about true love. Those lyrics are about the man passing and missing his true love. He watches over her, and when she can't handle the pain any longer, she passes away too. He comes to greet her, and take her hand once more, taking her with him where they will live through eternity, together. 

These lyrics inspired Terry's poem he wrote to me titled Beyond Dirt. I love the song, hold the poem in my heart, and hold the man who wrote it to me in my soul. It's beautiful and should Terry pass before me, I will wait for his spirit to join me once again when it's my turn to leave this plane, and vice versa. 

***

That was our day and evening at the fair, other than the rest of the songs. Terry took video of all of the rest and once they get put on YouTube, the songs can be heard there by clicking on our link:


***

Until our next post, we hope that all of you are happy, loved, and feeling all of your blessings. May you have all that you need and want in this life. 


And Terry, my heart, I will always hold your hand and travel with you, through time and space in the afterlife. I love you.




Comments

Popular Posts